Friday 26 March 2010

In Search Of Inspiration






Yesterday I went to the Design Museum in search of inspiration for the formats project. It was a great exhibit but it was mostly digital instillations (similar to the the V&A decode exhibit that is running at the moment) or videos of projects. One thing that I really liked the look of was a piece of software that uses eye movements to create digital graffiti art pieces, mainly designed for people that suffer from paralysis but also for graffiti artists and illustrators too. It used special glasses to follow the eyes and then re created the movements on a computer screen.

Another thing that caught my eye was an issue of The New Yorker, a magazine that is more word based than image based, but it was a visual issue, which relied more on illustration and a comic book style narrative to communicate. This was really inspiring for me being image based and could be something I could look to in terms of my format project.

I then went to the British Museum in search of a renaissance drawing exhibit. (I was led to this because I wanted to see if I could find anything about their sketchbooks) But the exhibit seemed to be more about their work not the books that it came out of, and was also £12!!! so I skipped it, instead went to the department of drawing and looked at some renaissance sketches and Mexican poster art, which was cool and could be good if I wanted to go back to doing a poster.

Last night I looked through a book called "Street Sketchbook" by Tristan Manco which compiles sketchbook works by loads of designers and illustrators and it got me thinking for research I could get photo's of other peoples sketchbooks, as well as researching sketchbooks from famous or known artists and designers. Just ordered a couple of books similar to street sketchbook and also a book on Leonardo Da Vinci's works which includes his notebooks, so I guess I'll see how far I can take this idea before I'm 100% doing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment