Friday 9 April 2010

An Illustrated Life?


Ok so I haven't posted anything in a while, doesn't mean I've stopped thinking about the project!

I recently bought some books about sketchbooks. "An Illustrated Life" by Danny Gregory and "Sketchbooks: The hidden art of Designers, Illustrators & Creatives" by Richard Brereton. Both books are essentially a selection of designers and some photographs of their sketchbooks and a bit of information on themselves.

I have been reading "An Illustrated Life" and not all of the people in the book are designers by profession but a lot of them seem to keep some sort of online blog showing their sketchbook work. A lot of the sketchbooks shown are more of an illustrated diary which shows people going about their every day life. These diary and journal sketchbook keepers are followers of Danny Gregory, who shows his own sketchbook diary entries in some of his books, the main one mentioned is "Everything Matters" which has inspired a lot of the people in an illustrated life to keep their own journals.

The people that are illustrators or designers in the book either use their sketchbooks to escape from their everyday work but keep drawing or use the drawings for inspiration towards their work.

So far I am about half way through the book and I have found that all of the people Gregory has shown in the book, not only have completely different styles of work, but also have their own ideology of how to work in the sketchbook. It has been reading this book that makes me want to document my own life in an illustrated journal at least for this project.

So my ideas at the moment: carry a small sketchbook with me and document my day to day happenings throughout the project and to produce a big sketchbook to show how important the creative process is to me and also to others.

I'm sure I will think of other things to add to it, as I still have 10 days till the official project start.

No comments:

Post a Comment